The week the universe crapped all over me

Ahh, Friday evening. The week is finally over. I'm usually happy for the week to end, but this week has been different. As the title so eloquently put it, this week has been less than great. Here's a recap.

On Monday morning I headed out to the truck to take the kids to school and head to work. As I got in I noticed that the glove compartment was open. My son had already got in on that side of the truck so I asked, “Was that open when you got in?” He confirmed that it was. As I said, “That's odd”, my eyes locked on the spot where my Sirius satellite radio used to be sitting. My mind does the quick 2+2 math and comes up with the correct result. Somebody broke in to my truck. I did a quick bit of inventory and found that they took nothing out of the glove box, but took my Sirius Satellite radio, a watch (relatively inexpensive, but will be tough to replace) and my sun glasses. What they missed was the $200 tripod sitting under the seat in the back and a paycheck stub that had all my personal information on it. Neither of which I normally keep in my truck, but happy as hell to see them both sitting there after the incident. No windows broken and no forced entry means only one thing, when I got home Sunday evening, I failed to lock the door. Thankfully they didn't do any damage to the truck. I'll chalk this up to my own stupidity. Though, I'll likely get an alarm installed this weekend just in case.

When I got to work I made a call to Sirius to tell them to pause my account because my radio had been stolen and I didn't want the thieves getting the satisfaction of using it. But, since I had purchased a lifetime subscription a few years back, they are unable to do so. But, they were nice enough to waive the $75 transfer fee once I get a new unit to transfer it to. So, at lunchtime I grabbed Todd and we headed out to Fry's. I knew exactly where to go inside Fry's because I had just purchased my now missing radio from them a few short weeks ago when I got the truck. When I got to the aisle, it seemed that the universe was actually smiling down on me for just a minute. The display sign holding the radios I was buying said “$20 mail-in rebate”. Sweet! I grab one and head to the checkout counter.

The nice lady rings up my sale and I hand her my card. She says, “Debit or Credit?” “Debit”, I say. 30 seconds later she says, “I'm sorry, it appears my debit system is down. Is Credit OK?” Not that it's any big deal to me how they charge it, it still pointed to the fact that things are not going my way. She completes the transaction, I sign the receipt and she says, “Have a nice day.” I reply, “Thanks. Can I have my rebate form?” She says, “One didn't print out. Let me check on it.” She returns a minute later to explain that there is no rebate on the item I purchased. I tell them their sign says there is. They, in turn, send somebody to take the sign down. I see no point in arguing at this point. I grab my purchase and head for the door realizing that the universe had to be laughing after setting me up and pulling the rug out from under me so swiftly.

Monday evening I tried accessing my website and it took 45 seconds for the front page to load. After a long slow decline in customer (that's me) satisfaction, I decided it was time to leave my current hosting company. I had already set up an account with MediaTemple a few months back, so now it's time to move the rest of my sites over. This is a big chore. There are a lot of moving parts and a lot of things can go wrong. I moved two sites over fairly easily and got them up and running within an hour. After the great success, I decided it was safe to move over this site. Sure enough, I got the site moved over in about 30 minutes. Everything was working smoothly so I went ahead and updated the DNS to point to the new server. This can take anywhere from an hour to 48 hours to propagate. During that time, it's not uncommon for some email to go to the new server and some to go to the old server. The following day the amount of mail going to the old server had been drastically reduced as expected. But there was one problem… no email was going to the new server. I check with MediaTemple and find out that they had an entire grid of servers go belly up causing mass outages. They were in the process of fixing things, but some people were still experiencing issues with email. Great timing for moving my site, huh?

We'll get back to the email saga in a minute… I need to jump backwards to Saturday evening. I think that's when the actual week of universal crappage started. Somebody sent me a link to a youtube video. When I clicked it, I was able to watch the video, but no sound was coming from my speakers. I messed with it for a few minutes, but had to put it off until Sunday to dig in and find the issue. On Sunday I unhooked all the plugs for the speakers, sub-woofer, etc… Nothing seems wrong, there's just no sound. To this point, I still haven't been able to solve it.

Another big load of universal excrement landed on me today at work. It would be too hard to explain the details without turning this in to a novel (too late, I know). But, imagine that you have had a project stop and start several times over a few months. Then, one day after you have completed the project, something changes and you have to put the, now completed, project on hold.

OK, back to the email issues…

When I got home from work on Wednesday and I STILL didn't have any email in my new account, it was time to contact MediaTemple. I sent them off a support ticket late Wednesday evening and headed to bed. When I woke Thursday morning, there was a response to my ticket. Turns out, my issue had nothing to do with their server outage. As a matter of fact, none of my sites are on any of the services that were affected. My problem was something they like to call “user error.” When I first set up the site on their control panel, it was still pointing to the old server. Because of that, they deactivate email so that if any sites on their servers try to send email to me, they won't get caught in email limbo. Once I moved my site over, the final step should have been to re-enable email services. I activated the services and 5 short minutes later my email from the week started trickling in.

I will only take partial blame for the email issue. While I understand the reasoning behind the way MediaTemple handles their email services, it wasn't exactly obvious to the end user (me). Now, it is my fault that I didn't send them a support ticket on Tuesday and instead waited an extra 24 hours, but, I was actually trying to be nice. They were still in the midst of fixing their server issues and I was trying not to bother them. Sometimes, nice guys do in fact finish last… -sigh-

So, yeah, I'm happy to see this week end. Next week WILL be better.

Posted in


  1. Robert F. Ludwick on May 11, 2009 at 9:36 am

    Wow.. That sucks. I have weeks like that all the time!

  2. toddhuish on May 11, 2009 at 7:53 pm

    I'm not totally sure crappage is an actual word

  3. Adam on May 12, 2009 at 12:26 am

    Maybe he meant "cabbage"? No, that can't be right…

  4. Nichole Burns on May 13, 2009 at 11:17 pm

    I am sorry Bub your having a hard week. Man that really sucks about your truck! and then all the rest of the crap after that. I thought you sounded not too perky when we talked… Now I know why. I sorry. Love you. Hope the rest of the week goes better.

  5. Stacie on May 14, 2009 at 9:27 am

    Wow! That IS a horrible week! Hope it all starts turning around for you soon!

  6. Dan on May 20, 2009 at 10:41 am

    That's happened to me so many times at Fry's I can't even count. You can believe any of the signage in there, EVER! And if you tell them there's a sign, and they go and see it there on the shelf just like you did, they still refuse to honor it. Worst electronics store ever.