Earlier today I took part in a panel discussion at an IABCLV (International Association of Business Communicators/Las Vegas) luncheon. My portion of the presentation was focused on blogging for your business. After the event I was asked if my list of tips would be available online. Hey now, that's not a bad idea!
I wanted my presentation to be more of a discussion, so there are no pretty slides and no detailed notes. Just a few short bits of information to start off a conversation.
10 Business Blogging Tips
- Blog regularly
- Create an editorial calendar
- Get others in the company involved
- Your blog can be professional without being ‘stuffy’
- Did something big happen in your industry, then give your opinion
- Get your readers involved
- Respond as often as you can
- Where possible, try to make your responses lead to further discussion
- You have to monitor your site’s comments or if people see spam or inappropriate material, they’ll think it’s acceptable and will likely continue the trend or just leave.
- Ever been on a wiki-crawl?
- Related posts plugins
- Ipad, iphone = reading on the go. Let people read your full articles
- Let your readers promote your content for you
- Add “Like” buttons to your posts
- Auto-publish your posts to your facebook page
- Just like business success doesn’t happen overnight, neither will your blog’s
If there's something you think I've missed, let me know!