Vegas-based WordPress Developer
My WordPress History
I've been using WordPress since it first came out. Early on, I started working under the hood making tweaks to the look and feel of my personal site. That soon turned into building custom themes and plugin for friends and a few small clients.
2009 was a big year in my WordPress career. Here are some highlights
- Organized the first WordCamp event in Las Vegas
- Presented my first WordCamp talk at WordCamp Reno
- Spoke at several other WordCamps across the country (Ask me about speaking at WordCamp Phoenix and New York on the same weekend)
- Founded the Las Vegas WordPress meetup group which has grown to over 1,400 members!
- Co-Founded a WordPress development Agency that I ran until 2015
In 2015, I left the agency I co-founded and joined up with a start-up. It seemed like an opportunity I just couldn't pass up. I was working in WordPress every day and absoulutly loved it. Unfortunately, we became a start-up statistic and my start-up life was short lived.
In 2016, I had the opportunity to join up with some long time friends at another WordPress agency as a full-time employee. The differences between running an agency and working for one are interesting. When I worked for myself, I said I never wanted a boss again. Now, I have 2 and I couldn't be happier.
Life is weird sometimes.
That Agency Life!
These days, I work as the Business Development Manager at WebDevStudios, a WordPress agency that caters to enterprise level clients. I also take on the role of Creative Director for eWebscapes, the small business division of WDS. If you're looking for agency level support on a small business budget, we have you covered.
Who doesn't have a side-hustle these days? For me, I like to keep my WordPress skills sharp. I spend my nights and weekeds doing small to medium sized projects at T-Rex Studios. Aside from WordPress projects, I also offer WordPress consulting and training at rates that even the most frugal business can afford.
When not working, I try to stay involved in some activities that don't require a computer. Here's some of what keeps me entertained these days:
- In 2014 I started attending CrossFit classes and fell in love. In 2015, I became a CrossFit Level-1 Training. You can sometimes find me coaching CrossFit classes on the weekends at CrossFit Veni Vidi Vici
- I've adopted the NHL Expansion Vegas Golden Knights as my team! My wife and I attend as many games as we can. After moving away from Los Angeles, we have really missed attending games. It has bee a LOT of fun to watch the franchise take shape and enter the NHL and have record-breaking early success. Can't wait to see what the future holds for them.
- When I can, I like to speak at WordCamp events around the country. Though, I typically stick to the ones in the SouthWest these days.
- I'm a frequent presenter at the WordPress Vegas monthly meetup. I like to mix up my topics and talk about development, plugins, themes, or pretty much anything that comes into my head.
- And, I love spending time with my wife and kids. We've been having fun playing Pokemon Go! If you see a wild Snorlax in my area, please let me know!