Setting up a Google Tag Manager account
In order to use Google Tag Manager (GTM), you are going to need a GTM account. Once you have the account set up, you can invite to me an admin which will allow me to manage your GTM account without needing access to your email account for setup.
In this guide I will walk you through the steps of creating your account and inviting me to be an admin on your GTM account.
1) You'll need to create your GTM account. Do this by going to https://tagmanager.google.com/ and log in with your Gmail or G Suite account. Once you do, you'll see the following screen where you will click the "Create Account" link in the top-right corner.
2) You'll see the Add a New Account page. Fill in the blanks similar to how I have done in the screenshot below. Two notes for you:
- For the Account Name, think of that as the overarching account name. Not a website specific name. This is especially important if you are going to have multiple websites all using GTM.
- The website specific info is in the Container Setup section. This is where you will put the website's name. I like to use just the domain name as shown in my example.
8) On the Send invitations screen, this is where you will send an invite to me to become an admin.
- At the top you will type in my email address ([email protected])
- Click the checkbox next to Administrator
- Click the Set all link to update permissions